Sitting all day, sitting, sitting, sitting. That’s what I remember doing when my little girl was born. We would sit and feed, some days for hours! I remember when I started to get back into my yoga practice I couldn’t touch my toes! I hadn’t been thinking about me at all or the long term effects these repetitive non movements where having on me. I had this warped view that I would be able to just get back to old ways easily, but I was wrong. Without being consistently mindful of my posture, getting back into some form of healthy was going to be a struggle.
Which muscle does sitting for hours effect? Your hamstrings of course. Today we will focus on our hamstrings. Below are a few simple exercises you can do to begin to gain back (or not lose) your hamstring range.
Simple and also feels great on the spine;
- Standing legs hip distance apart with knees slightly bent
- Begin to fold forward from your hips
- Placing hands to opposite elbows
- Deeply bend the knees bringing belly to thighs
- Allow the head and neck to relax
- Let the arms feel heavy, allowing gravity to pull you closer to the ground
- Begin to start straightening the legs but keeping a slight bend in the knee
- You can sway the arms left and right if this feels good on your back.
Come down to the floor on all fours;
- Step the right foot forward
- Sinking the hips low and forward to get a stretch in the hips
- Begin to straighten the front leg coming on the heal
- Move back into your lunge
- Again straighten the front leg coming up to the heal
- Repeat this movement 5-8 times
- Repeat on the other side
Seated forward fold
- Sit on the floor
- Straighten legs out in front of you
- Flex your feet
- Sit tall, spine long
- Fold forward reaching for your toes, do not round the spine, bend the knees if you need or use a belt, scarf or strap to reach the toes.
- Breathe here, allowing your body to soften.
- If your lower back hurts, ease off a little.
Walking a lot will also help with hamstring relief.
Don’t forget to subscribe at www.talulalittle.com for FREE post natal yoga and grab your bubba cosy organic yoga inspired clothes that will serve as a reminder for you to take care and keep moving.